The Impact of Social Media Influencers and Their Gimmick Videos

 I was a phone buff even before the COVID-19 lockdown. Since I have a dusky complexion (which I now embrace), I wanted to change it and ended up following YouTube beauty gurus (as they call themselves). I followed their skincare and haircare tips religiously, which resulted in severe hair fall and transformed my oily skin into dry and sensitized sensitive skin.

After trying many of their DIY remedies, I ended up with serious hair and skin issues that led me to visit a dermatologist. I underwent treatment for over a year. When they asked what I had been applying to my skin, the list included:


  • Rice flour
  • Potato
  • Tomato
  • Baking soda
  • Aloe vera gel
  • Lime juice
  • Orange juice
  • Papaya
  • Besan, atta, milk, and the list goes on


The only comment the dermatologist had was, "Instead of taking care of your skin, you’re cooking food in it. Why didn’t you include salt, sugar, and chili powder?

 My response was, "Except for chili, I applied the other two on my lips."


I spent close to 65,000 rupees trying to restore my skin to normal, but it is still not completely back to normal, and I ended up having sensitive skin. All these were due to the uneducated beauty tips videos. Let me provide a few reasons why you should not blindly trust or trust their videos in general.


They Are Not Trained Professionals to Give Advice:

One major issue with these beauty tips is that the people sharing them are not trained professionals. They might offer advice based on personal experiences or the tips they read somewhere or heard that were not scientifically proven. Because these people aren't trained professionals, their advice can sometimes be harmful or misleading. It often doesn’t match the specific needs of each person’s skin.




They Share These Tips for Monetary Reasons:

Many beauty influencers share tips and DIY remedies for monetary reasons rather than out of genuine concern for their audience’s well-being. They often earn money through ad revenue, sponsorships, or affiliate marketing. This financial incentive can sometimes lead to biased recommendations. They might promote certain products or techniques because they are being paid to do so for their followers.



They Do Sponsored Product Reviews Which Are Often Biased:

Sponsored product reviews are another common issue. Influencers might present overly positive reviews of products they are paid to promote, even if the products are not as effective as claimed. This bias can mislead viewers into believing that these products will work wonders for them, leading to potentially disappointing results and wasted money (I had a heavy hair fall due to this reason). Please be aware of this.







Don’t Trust Just Anyone—You Have Unique Skin:

It’s essential to remember that skincare is highly individual. What works for one person might not work for another, as each person’s skin is unique. The advice and remedies that work for one person may not be suitable for someone else due to differences in skin type, sensitivities, and needs. It’s always best to seek guidance from a qualified dermatologist or skincare professional who can provide personalized advice based on your specific skin condition.



While online beauty tips can be tempting, it’s important to be cautious. Professionals have the training to give the best advice, while many online sources may not be reliable. Getting advice from a skincare expert ensures that you’re taking care of your skin in a way that suits your needs and supports your long-term health and beauty.


PC: Google 


#BlogchatterHalfMarathon 2024

This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon 2024

#blog #blogger #bloggerstyle #bloggers #bloggerlife #blogueira #blogging #blogueiras #blogueirinha #blogpost #bloggersofinstagram #blogs #blogto #bloggerlifestyle #bloggerfashion #bloglife #bloggergirl #bloger #blogueuse #blogdemoda #bloggerslife


Comments

  1. I'm sorry for your experience but what you said is quite true. Internet beauty tips cannot be trusted completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gosh! I am sorry you had to face so much trouble, but yes I agree these unsolicited advise flowing freely on Google and social media does more harm than any good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this is so serious. I can relate to this as I'm a skincare enthusiast. I'm glad the dermat could help you. I never follow youtubers who post monetary content. Some of them do this for views and money but forget this could prove harmful for common audience who has no knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post - How did my book-reading journey started

𝔸𝕦𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕣 𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨