Author: Ravi Valluri Interview

 Book name: A Tale of Parallels

Author:  Ravi Valluri  


1. What was the most difficult part to write in the book  "A Tale of Parallels"? 

It was a challenge to combat living in the Officer's Rest House at Sterling Road Chennai as my wife and I were holed up while the second wave of the pandemic struck our nation. We were relocated from Prayagraj to Chennai.  We were living in a  huge building , but the two of us were in one room. So it was a mental battle while living in a room.  I had conceived the prompts and several stories were floating in my mind . In many ways , we were living in Agyatvas / exile  I reckoned.  Somehow , I wanted to draw a parallel from the epic Mahabharata while weaving these stories. Fortunately my son had sent a book on Mahabharata curated by the noted author DevDutt Pattnaik  ( a Coffee Table Book  brimming with illustrations and several stories).  This was the  magical moment. I would call it divine grace. As I pored over the masterpiece , ideas germinated in my mind. Now came the difficult part of intertwining the tales with the plots in my mind. All these plots and stories were pertaining to current affairs. There was a prompt  with me called 6 in 5000 . That was about a family from Mirzapur and Prayagraj in current times. It was indeed a daunting task to draw a parallel  with Mahabharata. 6 in 5000 , I  could convert into the five Pandavas and Draupadi  say 5000 years back  and could  weave  a story of  present times in Eastern UP. My wife changed the title to A TALE OF PARALLELS. And interestingly this became the title of the book as well. So yes drawing those parallels of Mahabharata with current day events was challenging and  a daunting task but not an  insurmountable one.  


2. Your previous books are about a positive mindset and a positive lifestyle. Can we expect the same in this book ' A Tale of Parallels' as well?

I had written a book of fiction - short stories called HeartBreak at Coffee Shop - An Array of Tales. That was not all about positivity. But there were several unexpected twists which led to positive vibes.  This collection of short stories is not a self help book  or on the  human mind.  It is full of fact , fiction and numerous twists relying heavily on Mahabharata . Since Mahabharata deals with good conquering feindish forces similarly this remains the underlying theme and  positivity emerges from several twists , turns and the accompanying  mayhem.  

3. The book cover looks so unique and insightful, is there any hidden meaning behind the cover image?

The cover is indeed quite engaging . And we had to grapple with it with a lot of discussion. Book cover has been designed by a creative team of Jashn events .My publisher AKS Publishers , our promotion agents Jashn Events , my wife and I  worked on it.  It took time , but I am happy with the cover. If one looks at the cover closely  , at the bottom  are the images of  the original Pandavas  and above are modern day characters . In between are two sets of arrows in which the title is mentioned. So this  is a  reflection image  through the two sets of arrows. Arrows could represent Arjuna  vanquishing  the Kauravas , or  Bhishma lying on the bed of arrows  or the macabre situations of today. So through an apocalypse now kind of a situation , the reader stumbles into  tranquility and peace. This is what I have attempted and hoped to offer the readers.

4. Have you ever traveled to research for your stories ?

I have been posted to several parts of the country. This is the ninth zonal railway I am working at in Chennai.  With so many transfers , and staying at places lices like Alllahabad, Guwahati , Bangalore , Hyderabad , Guntakal , Secunderabad , Chennai , Ambala , Bikaner , Jaipur , Delhi ....to name some some I have had the opportunity to interact with a large cross section of people  and seen various places . This has provided me with the feel of real India . And thus I do not merely  write sitting in an airconditioned room without visiting a place like Bapatla , Chitrakut or Mantralayam . This exposure has helped me immensely in my writings.  And Indian Railways is called the Lifeline of the nation  which provides an opportunity to discover India. its culture and people who populate  the landscape of my stories  both fiction and non fiction.

5. What has influenced you the most as a writer?

My experiences in life, especially the  recovery from alcoholism to sobriety through the Art of Living . The grace of Master H. H. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar metamorphosed my thought process which helped me in writing immensely. Life is the biggest teacher which  resonates in my writings and I am sure this is the case  with all artists. Next  while in school and college I was an active participant in music theatre workshops under the tutelage of  eminent personalities , dabbled with writing , public speaking and over the years have learned Hindustani Classical music ( unfortunately have not continued with it in an uninterrupted manner ) contributed to my writing. My mother encouraged me to fuel my passion and my wife has been a merciless editor. So all these factors have contributed me to develop as a person and  have also shaped my writings.

6. A Tale of Parallels will be the best read for which age group?

Any one who is  above 18 years  would enjoy reading the book.

7. How many hours a day do you write?

 What is your favorite time to write, and why?Around two  to three hours on weekdays  and more on holidays and weekends.  But it is not  that I am not preparing to write  at other times. My mind keeps hunting for plots .Usually I write in the evenings  and at times in the mornings. Our work schedule  is  exceedingly hectic in the Railways , so I  find time late in the evenings.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post - How did my book-reading journey started

The Midas Touch: 99 Pages To Acquire The Art Of Alchemy & Forge Champions by Dr. Sheetal Nair